Louisville, Ky. (April 29, 2021) – Barrell Craft Spirits® (BCS) is thrilled to announce that two of its special Private Releases took top honors and were awarded Double Gold at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition (SFWSC): Barrell Private Release Bourbon BA1C for Best Small Batch Bourbon Up to Five Years, and Barrell Private Release Rum B617 for Best Over-Proof Rum. Additionally, the team earned Double Gold Medals for Barrell Bourbon Batch 024, 025, 026 and 027, Barrell Private Release Whiskey DH34, and the newly-released Barrell Seagrass; plus Gold Medals for Barrell Armida and five additional Private Release Bourbons and Whiskeys.
SFWSC is the largest international spirits competition in the United States. Judging is blind and done by a prestigious panel of nationally recognized spirits judges, each selected for their distinct and trusted palate. With two decades of experience, the SFWSC has become one of the most respected competitions in the world.
“Being awarded 14 Double Gold and Gold medals and taking top honors in two categories at this prestigious competition is simply incredible,” said Company Founder Joe Beatrice. “In our quest to become the most creative, forward-thinking and progressive blenders in the nation, we introduced our most ambitious project to date last year, launching both a Private Release Whiskey and Bourbon Series. It is incredibly satisfying to see just how well our full portfolio of products, including bourbon, whiskey and rum, has been received.”
Double Gold Medal Winners:
- Barrell Private Release Bourbon BA1C – Shows a fresh corn-forward sweetness and has a component age statement of 45% 5-year, 25% 10-year, 25% 14-year, and 5% 16-year bourbons.
- Barrell Private Release Rum B617 – The base rum, which is from Barbados, makes up 61% of the final blend. The marrying and finishing were done in a Pedro Ximenez Sherry Barrel.
- Barrell Bourbon Batch 024 – A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys with a gentle nose balancing blonde tobacco, pear, and coffee ice cream that belies an intense palate of cola and spice. A selection of 9, 10, 13, and 15-year-old barrels.
- Barrell Bourbon Batch 025 – A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys that’s citrusy and peppery, without losing the opulence and oaky ease of the older ingredients. A selection of 5.5, 9, 13, and 15-year-old barrels.
- Barrell Bourbon Batch 026 – A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys that dances between fruit and spice long into its finish. A selection of 9, 10, 11, 13, and 15-year-old barrels.
- Barrell Bourbon Batch 027 – A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys featuring a cohesive, yet extremely complex flavor profile. A total cherry bomb featuring a selection of 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, and 15-year-old barrels.
- Barrell Private Release Whiskey DH34 – A blend of KY Whiskeys, the largest component being 18-year-old KY whiskey, finished in an Oloroso Sherry Barrel.
- Barrell Seagrass – A blend of American and Canadian rye whiskeys, with each ingredient sourced and finished separately in Martinique Rhum Agricole casks, apricot brandy casks, and Madeira barrels.
Founded in 2013 in Louisville, Kentucky, BCS is known for sourcing and blending whiskey, bourbon, rye and rum products that explore different distillation methods, barrels and aging environments, and bottling them at cask strength. BCS’s extensive stocks of high-quality casks means it can craft extraordinary blends that maximize the nuances of each ingredient. Every batch is produced as a limited release and has a distinct flavor profile.
At the 2020 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, BCS’ Barrell Bourbon Batch 021 received Double Gold and was named Best Bourbon and Best Small Batch Bourbon – both overall and within the 6-10 year category. The team also earned Double Gold Medals for Barrell Bourbon Batch 020 and Barrell Rye Batch 003. In previous years, BCS captured the 2017 Best Bourbon and Best Small Batch Bourbon, (Barrell Bourbon Batch 011) and Best Over Proof Rum (Barrell Rum Batch 001).
The Barrell Craft Spirits award-winning line of products is currently sold in 45 US states and online via www.barrellbourbon.com. Follow Barrell Craft Spirits on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Barrell Craft Spirits
Barrell Craft Spirits® is an independent blender and bottler of unique aged, cask-strength sourced whiskey and rum spirits, that is recognized for its blending expertise. The company selects and blends products that explore different distillation methods, barrels and aging environments, and bottles them at cask strength. Every batch and single barrel is produced as a limited release and has a distinct flavor profile.
Barrell Craft Spirits®, Barrell®, Barrell Bourbon® and Barrell Rye® are registered trademarks owned by Barrell Craft Spirits LLC.
# # #